“But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” (James 1:5)
It is easy for me to immediately go to others when I am faced with a dilemma, small or large. How often I forget that going to God first in all things is not only giving Him the proper place in my life, but it’s also acknowledging that He is the source of all wisdom. I’m thankful for my parents, for my close friends, for my pastors to whom I can go with questions, but I long to make a habit of God first in all things.
That being said… we need wisdom. I am asking daily that God would make plain the path that He would have Bri and me walk in, and I am asking y’all to please pray for us, too.
Tomorrow (that’s Thursday) I will see my endocrinologist again (she’s the specialist dealing with my thyroid cancer and follow-ups). Each year for the next four years, she wants to do a follow-up scan to be certain there’s no recurrence. For those of you who know me and have been following my story here, you know that means being taken off my thyroid medication, completely depleted of it, a radioactive-iodine scan followed by being sequestered from my family, then return to my medication. It’s a twelve week process, and the middle four to six weeks are miserable for all of us.
There is something new she can try. It’s an injection. Two of them, actually, then three days later I’ll have the scan. It’s a one-week process, a three-day sequestering, and then it’s over.
We must decide which route to take.
Sounds like a no-brainer, huh?
Well, here’s the kicker. Each injection runs around $2000. Each. Our insurance will not tell you beforehand if they will cover it or not (it’s their way of keeping people from choosing the injections so they don’t have to pay for it). My doctor is so frustrated with them, as am I. So we must decide if we want to take the risk of having to pay the full amount uncovered.
Add into that my propensity for panic attacks when it comes to needles, and it’s not an easy decision to make. We have gone the 12 week route before and we know that it will be hard, but we know that we can do it and get through it. God has never failed us.
We also know He will not fail us if we go the one week route and get saddled with a huge medical bill.
We are leaning toward the one week plan.
It’s a step of faith that we believe will be best in the long run for our family.
But it is hard and it is scary.
I love the verse above. If you lack wisdom, go to Him. He gives liberally.
But I also love the verses it’s sandwiched between…
“And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing… But he must ask in faith without any doubting…”
We have endured much by the grace of God, and as we come to Him in expectant faith, I have no doubt that He will care for us.
(Will you pray for wisdom? Will you pray for faith? And will you pray that God will make it plain tomorrow when I see the doctor what He would have us do? Thank you.)